7.13.2009

How to make a picot stitch

I've started crocheting doilies and I came across a lovely one from one of my grandmother's books that I just had to stitch. Unfortunately there are SO many picots in the pattern and it didn't do a very good job explaining it. I looked it up online and it was a help but I still had to come up with my own way to make the bobbles.

Here's a short tutorial for you on how to make a picot stitch. I hope it is clear and very helpful for you!

1. Here's my chain stitch waiting to make a single crochet in the little 3 chain loop near the middle of the picture. All the picots I looked up start with a single crochet. This one starts in the actual space made by the stitches, not in a stitch.


2. This picture shows the single crochet in the 3 chain loop.

3. To my knowledge, picots can have any number of chains, this one continues the stitch with a chain of 3.

4. Here, I've slipped my needle through the crossbar (horizontal) part of the single crochet as well as the left (front) thread. If you look back to the picture of the single crochet, you'll see it sort of looks like the Pi symbol. The 3 chain is beginning to pull into an arch leaning to the right.

5. Here, I've pulled the thread down and across, preparing it for my next stitch. I found you need to do this to make the bobble appear on the correct side of the pattern. You can see, it's pulled the chain of 3 closer into a cluster.

6. In the final photo, I'm showing you how I pulled the thread through the three loops that were on my hook. The thread had been pulled over the front and secured on the left side of the picot so when I pulled it through, it would keep the picot on the front side of my pattern.
I hope this was helpful, because after all the time I've spent doing these I've found that none of the tutorials that I read were actually intricate enough.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Mishkat July 13, 2009 at 10:33 AM  

Whoa - this is really a great tutorial! I could even do it after looking at your photos (and that's a big compliment!). Very well done!

Anonymous,  July 16, 2009 at 9:35 AM  

Wow, I didn't know you crocheted too! How cool! Now you have me thinking of ways you could incorporate your crochet/knitting into your sweeties! lol ;)

peckedbyducks October 26, 2009 at 10:08 AM  

Finally!! Thank you so much! I hadn't been able to figure this one out and now I got it first try!! Say... you wouldn't happen to know how to do am adjustable ring would you? I am three books in and still no luck making it work! :)

renovia October 26, 2009 at 9:58 PM  

Pecked: if you could give me part of the directions I may be able to help. I think an adjustable ring is when you chain 4 (or something) and then you start stitching in the very first chain you made. If you don't stitch too tightly the first chain you made will actually stretch to fit all your stitches and the other three chains are counted as a double crochet. I think......

Followers

©Endless Whimsy™

All photos, videos and content of this blog are protected by copyright laws. All Rights Reserved.
OurBlogTemplates